By: Kate, The Donut Problem
Ever notice that filled donuts are typically outliers in a sea of holed donuts? While I’d never look down upon the latter, there’s definitely something extra special about donuts that utilize every square millimeter of their precious real estate. With many exquisite filled donuts to choose from in NYC, here’s a short list of some of my favorites:
1. Kahlua, Meyer lemon, Salted Caramel, and PB&J — Flex Mussels : The first thing you should know is that although the menu at Flex Mussels offers options of four or six donuts you can also buy two! I highly recommend ordering these babies to stay. There are about ten fillings you can choose from, and each order comes with a side of vanilla sauce. Heavenly!
- Doughpods — Doughnut Plant: Last year Doughnut Plant once again revolutionized the donut scene with two savory treats: avocado and samosa “doughpods.” I enjoy both, but the avocado (pictured) was particularly mind blowing: essentially guacamole and a donut fused into a cute Twinkie shape.
3. Lemon Meringue Pie — Dough: If you’re like me and swoon for this perfect classic pie, head to the Flatiron location of Dough and get one of these brilliant donuts! Fresh, tart lemon filling, and they even toast the meringue of each donut. Take a bow, Dough, truly.
4. Peanut Butter and Jelly — Gigi’s Doughnuts: As a longtime vegetarian, I’m a big eater and supporter of tasty vegan food. Gigi’s fits that bill in the donut context! They don’t have a storefront yet but check their Instagram (@gigisdoughnuts) for pop up info!
5. Crème Brûlée Dough’ssant — Chikalicious Dessert Club: Know what’s even more exciting than one delicious treat? Three fused into one hyrid: Crème brûlée, a donut, and a croissant! Despite its beauty I recommend breaking it in half prior to consumption to visually admire the custard inside.